So I’ve registered for Blogging University’s Blogging 201 course and my first task is write down three goals for my site with the bonus ask of putting them down on my site. No pressure, right? Writing down goals is definitely a scary thing and not because I will now be accountable but because I’m scared I’m going to actually forget what I need to do. Has that ever happened to you? You write something down and then completely forget about it because your brain has the freedom to worry about something else? So I then become the Queen of Post-its so that way I don’t forget what I wrote down and now I have post-its sticking out of all 3 of my notebooks at work and coming out from under my key board and set around the trim of my two computer monitors. I even have two of those large post-its on my wall at the office with to-do’s. But, that clearly is another problem I have entirely, to be worked out on another day, with another assignment. So I’ll get back to the first step of my first assignment – writing down my goals.
- Exorcising “demons” – okay, maybe not demons but using this space as an outlet to work through everything that is going on in my life right now. I’m 30-ish, married, I’m one of the primary care givers to my 90-ish year old grandmother with dementia and incontinence issues (I know..TMI…but it’s true), I work full time as an HR Manager and have a blind diabetic dog (and by blind, I mean we had to physically remove this beautiful dog’s eyes due to pressures from glaucoma – a side effect of the diabetes). So, there’s a lot going on that I need to find strength and love in my life….hence the title of the blog.
- How will I accomplish this goal? Well I’ll dedicate 1 hour a day on drafting blog ideas. Really, the time I have to work on goals is while I’m sitting in my grandma’s room waiting for her to sleep.
- Bring out some light – I have to bring myself to work past the fear of letting people see what I write and open up to people about my space.
- How will I accomplish this goal? It’s a pretty vague goal now that I think about it but, I’ll publish 1 blog a week for the next 10 weeks. Why just the next 10 weeks? Because I promised my husband we’d go on an awesome vacation because of all he’s patiently dealing with and in 10 weeks, we go to New Zealand. =)
- Create connections – Connect with others out there trying to work out their everyday lives in ways that are new and interesting, inspirational and just plain creative. My space isn’t just an outlet for me, it’s an outlet for anyone who needs it to be one for them and I’m thinking that other bloggers had a similar intention when they started blogging. Anyhow, people are social beings. We need connections, right? No matter how out of my comfort zone it might be.
- How will I accomplish this goal? I will dedicate 2 hours a week to read and comment on other blogs. Perfect to do on lunch breaks or my commute to the office or on those weekends when I actually have the extra time to carve out for myself.
*SIGH* There they are. My goals for this site. Good luck to me and anyone else setting goals in their lives. Here’s to finding strength not just by writing these goals down, but by accomplishing these goals. I can’t imagine that all of a sudden everything will magically fall into place. Clearly a lot of work will need to be done and the key to all that work? Consistency.